Monday, February 21, 2011

Survey Monkey

     The experience of setting up an online survey for my project was interesting, in terms of feedback, since I was the last posted blogger not many, in fact, it looks like zero people had a chance to take my survey.
     As a tool for teaching, one thing that comes to mind is perhaps it can be used to track student's progress on independent projects. For example, in my current student teaching placement, students have been working on independent research projects for the last month, which culminate in a short class presentation. Their progress has been monitored by collecting notes every 2 weeks. This has been done manually. Since many of the students have typed on their notes anyway, it seems it would be quite simple to have a survey monkey set up whereby I could provide each student feedback after looking at their work on-line. I would have a series of questions used for assessment (such as how complete the notes are, are the sources documented properly, and so on).  It certainly would save paper and the entire process of going through notes and hand-writing the results. In terms of logistics, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to set up a survey for each student, perhaps they could do it themselves and then email me the link.
     Overall, any opportunity to cut down on the paper overload would be welcome, using quick assessments such as survey monkey and avoiding the entire hard copy process.

No comments:

Post a Comment